Monday, June 12, 2006

Ale, World Cup!

It's that time again - the biggest sporting event of the world. I really thing it is bigger than Olympics, because it is about the sport that has absolutely no rivals in the world in popularity and the impact on just about everybody.

Disappointingly, it is the 4th World Cup I have to watch in the USA, the only country that actually still refuses to accept football for the great sport that it is. Back in 1994, shortly after my arrival in the US, Americans had a chance to prove to the world that they, too, care about it by hosting the World Cup. The summer of 1994 was probably the most boring one I ever had, being stranded in Meadville, PA, my college town, for the summer work in the empty campus. If it hadn't been for the World Cup, I would have been even more miserable. That was the year of Brazil, with Romario and Bebeto at its helm. I do, however, remember the missed penalty by the Italian Roberto Baggio, who was otherwise a brilliant player in the Cup.

The World Cup of 1998 was in France, and I was in Boston at the time, working on one of my first consulting jobs. I don't remember being too obsessed with the game that year. What I do remember though, was the disgrace of the USA, which finished last, and the triumphal 3:0 victory of France over Brazil in the final - what a game that was.

2002, Korea-Japan World Cup seems like it was yesterday. I was in Portland, OR, and I had to record games on the VCR and watch them after work. The hardest part was avoiding any news websites during the day so that I wouldn't accidentally find out the score prematurely. This, again, was Brazil's cup to win.

And now, Germany. Of the teams that play this time, I wish best of luck to the following: Holland, Ukraine, Portugal,Serbia, and to a lesser degree, France, England, Czech Republic. Ale, Mundial!

1 Comments:

Blogger sheeep said...

I know!!! In the US, nobody, seriously no one (I mean Americans) around me interested in the world cup! Wish I had chosen UK to study abroad instead of US... well, anyway Japan sucks this time again.

9:57 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home