Friday, August 04, 2006

The grass was greener

Tomorrow I am leaving for Belarus, the land where I grew up.

I am leaving behind a cubicle job for a piece of my childhood.

7.50 alarm clock for sleep-ins in my old squeaky bed with a prickly mattress.

Endless nightlife for evenings with relatives and old friends.

Pizzas and burritos for homecooked, hearty meals.

Martinis for vodka shots.

Obligatory foggy evenings for puffy clouds in the blue sky and late-night dusks.

Strange foreign plants for daisies and dandelions.

Unsightly gum-trees for birches.

City parks for beautiful forests.

Fake smiles for honest grumpy faces.

Unindentified melting pot of ethnicites for the slavic surrounding.

Uncertainty of the new for uncertainty of old.

Rule of police for.... rule of police.

Fake friends for real friends.

Age 31 for age 17.

I am going home.


3 Comments:

Blogger Aubrey Andel said...

Have a safe and happy trip home. Fill up on homecooking while you can. Your heart can’t handle any more chorizo burritos. And it’s greener, not greaner.

3:54 AM

 
Blogger miss.elaine.eos said...

There's really no place like home. Bask in nostalgia. Have a wonderful trip.

9:28 PM

 
Blogger sheeep said...

Did you have a safe trip home? By contrast, I am going back to US in a few days... The 2 months I spent in Japan was invaluable. Home is home, even though many things have been changed since before. Enjoy!

9:16 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home