Thursday, September 07, 2006

32

So I'm 32 now. That sounds kind of old. I can't say I feel any different from a week before, or even a year before. In fact, I am quite enjoying my age and would have rather skipped a few years in my early 20s for an extra couple of years in my 30s...

Of course, for my relatives in Belarus, I am alarmingly single. My aunt, a very kind woman, who is also quite blunt, quizzed me when I was Belarus. 'Zhenik*', she said, 'Do you have a girlfriend in America?' 'No, not really,' I replied.

'But you are not gay, are you??' she then asked, genuine horror in her eyes. 'Because god forbid if you were. That would be just terrible. But I don't think you are, right?'

My poor relatives. They would love to see another family grow and another grandchild born. In the meantime, alas, they will have to suffice with Yana, my cousin's Yura's daughter. She's 7 now and apparently very clever. To my grief, I did not see her this time in Belarus because she was in Turkey for holidays with her parents...



*Zhenik - a name most of my relatives call me. My mother, however, calls me Zhenya. Both are derivatives of Evgeny, the Russian version of Eugene.

2 Comments:

Blogger Aubrey Andel said...

You and your fake plastic loves...

6:06 PM

 
Blogger My Top Ten said...

better than some living ones...

8:11 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home